Tracing the history of AWMAC goes back to the 1920s when millwork operators in the Vancouver area were trying to create a better climate for the industry. From these efforts the Mainland Millwork Association was created and incorporated in 1948. In the 1950's, the Mainland Millwork Association became the Architectural Woodwork Association.
In the late 1960s, Gary Nikolai (of Vancouver, British Columbia) travelled across Canada promoting a national woodworkers association called the Architectural Woodwork Manufacturers Association of Canada, in short, AWMAC.
The first meeting of AWMAC was held on September 25, 1970 at the Bayshore Inn, Vancouver, BC. Present were members from British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Nova Scotia.
By 1974, the Alberta chapter based out of Calgary had split into Northern and Southern Alberta Chapters as it remains today.